Biogeochemistry and Primary Production
We anticipate a changing biogeochemical regime in the marsh, with the direction of change uncertain and variable due to complex interactions and feedbacks.
We expect to see changes in
- salinity regime experienced by the marsh
- primary production of marsh grasses
- porewater chemistry and nutrient dynamics
- carbon storage and export
- increases in water and nutrient fluxes from the
- increased porewater drainage from marsh edges
and the creation of biogeochemical "hot spots"
- increase in grazing as access to the marsh platform increases with rising sea level.